Take a look at some of our favorites:
- Create a hand painted floor cloth by painting on artist’s canvas or plain vinyl flooring. You can use any leftover paint you have from painting the walls, or use acrylic paints in colors that contrast with your room. Be sure to complete the cloth with two coats of polyurethane to protect it. Refer to our e-book, Quick & Stylish Decorative Crafts, for great floor cloth painting tips and designs.
- Instead of carpeting a staircase, stain or paint alternate steps in contrasting colors. Or, paint the step treads (the part you stand on) in one color and adds a patterned design on each rise (the vertical part of the step).
- Paint a freehand design or use stencils to decorate a floor-length sisal rug. Sisal rugs are made from Mexican agave plants and their tight and well-tailored weaves hold the paint well. If you can’t find a sisal rug to cover your entire floor, buy several of them and line them up next to one another. Secure them with carpet tape so that they don’t slip. Paint them in contrasting colors as if you were painting large tiles!
- Cover a floor with something other than carpeting or rugs…try heavyweight fabric fastened down with decorative upholstery tacks.
- Use a wallpaper border around the border of the room by adhering it to a freshly painted or refinished wood floor with wallpaper paste (or by simply dampening it, if the border is pre-pasted.) Seal the floor with two coats of water-based polyurethane to protect it.
- Use the decoupage techniques we presented earlier on your floor! Create a collage of favorite items as a border or as a complete covering. Or, select pictures of floor swatches from a flooring catalog, enlarge them at a copy center, and decoupage them on your floor!